Fly Fishing School
Contact Dick Scordato, email@example.com, for more information.
For more than 20 years our chapter has offered fly fishing and tying classes to area anglers. Our instructors are among the most experienced fly fishers in the area. Most have been fly fishing our local waters for decades. If you have never touched a fly rod before, or if you have some experience but want to learn more about fly fishing, this class is for you. The class is informal, fun and class size is limited to 15 so there is much individualized attention.
The exact dates for Spring 2108 classes have not yet been set. Classes normally run from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm, are held at Horace Greeley High School, 70 Roaring Brook Road, Chappaqua, NY in conjunction with the Chappaqua School District Continuing Education program. We will post the details for Spring 2018 classes as soon as they are finalized.
Tuition is $175. Sorry, we cannot accept students under 18. Participants will need a NY State fishing license (CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE YOUR LICENSE) and a DEP watershed permit (CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR PERMIT). Fly rods and reels will be available for the casting sessions. On water classes may be held depending upon weather.
A typical curriculum is below.
Fly Fishing Curriculum
- Week 1— An overview of fly fishing, introduction to rods, reels, and other equipment.
- Week 2 — More on equipment : waders, vests, etc. Intro to knots
- Week 3 — How to rig it all up for dry flies, nymphs
- Week 4 — Trout and what they eat (and how to catch them)
- Week 5 — Casting fundamentals & Instruction
- Week 6 — More Casting practice and how to fish
- Week 7 — On the water instruction
- Week 8 — On the water instruction
- Week 9 — Bonus: New member fishing day